Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Freedom writers

I know this movie was out forever, but I always wanted to see it, until I finally did! And here's what I thought of it :)
 
It was actually a good movie! I always like movies that show teaching experiences and how students are changed and motivated to give more. It was inspiring and even brought me to tears a little; I remembered my teaching days (one term for practicum -_-).
What burst my bubble was a scene were the husband acts selfish and gathers his stuff leaving her, since she became much occupied with her class. As a man, he wasn't getting his dose of attention; therefore he left even though he admitted that what she was doing was "Nobel".
I felt that there was a double standard here. Women are expected to be supportive to their men, it's seen as granted as a job she must fulfill. She must understand when  he works long hours or if he came home late or even traveled for days maybe weeks at a time. But whenever it’s the opposite way around, when she needed support the most, he leaves her.
There was a very intense line when the wife confronted her husband and asked him why couldn’t he be supportive like wives do to their husbands?  She was answered by the line that ruined the whole movie for me, "I can't be your wife".
Anyway, I know I might have read too much into it. But I believe that is why movies are written. To make

us think and analyze. So when they slip something like that into the mix we should notice it

and criticize it, not take it as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment